Employers of highly qualified specialists (HQS) have until 31 January 2020 to notify the migration authorities of salaries paid to these foreign national employees in the fourth quarter of 2019.
Quarterly notifications must be made to the Ministry of Internal Affairs (MIA) within 30 days of the end of each quarter.
The reported salary amount should be no less than the minimum level established for HQS:
- RUB 167,000 per calendar month;
- RUB 501,000 per quarter (if there was a break in work during the reported period).
Non-notification or violation of the established notification procedure leads to the following administrative fines on the employer:
- on officials – from RUB 35,000 to RUB 70,000;
- on legal entities – from RUB 400,000 to RUB 1,000,000.
Failure to pay the salary in the minimum amount established for HQS:
- Ban on the company employing new HQS employees for two years.
What is the Highly Qualified Specialist Program?
The Highly Qualified Specialist (HQS) program allows companies in Russia to employ foreign national workers for up to three years (renewable) with various benefits including a simplified application process and exemption from quotas.
Employers who may be affected are encouraged to contact a Newland Chase immigration specialist for case-specific advice.
For general advice and information on immigration and business travel to Russia, please contact us.